I have a lot of friends out there who swear by the Grossy Pelosi Vodka Sauce. Others swear by Rachel Ray’s version. For me, The Faux Martha can do no wrong. This recipe is inspired by her version in the Minimalist Kitchen, my hands-down favorite cookbook.
Compared to the others, this recipe relies less on the unctuous fats and instead calls out the tomato flavor. Definitely search out fire-roasted diced tomatoes. That and the liberal use of red pepper flakes really make this dish. Oh, and roast a panful of your favorite veggies. Carbs don’t count when paired with boatloads of produce. 😉
This pasta dinner combines all your favorite ingredients to not only provide a delicious meal but also clean out the fridge. Use whatever pasta and veggies you have on hand for a cost-effective din-din.
- We try to use seasonal veggies for this recipe in our house, but red and yellow pepper, zucchini and cherry tomatoes are always a hit.
- Afraid you’re going to waste the rest of the heavy cream container? Then skip it! I tried it with 1% milk and it was still delish!!
- Try canned coconut milk or skip the cream and the cheese. It will be a different kind of dish, but still tasty.
- Hmm… Replace with a gluten-free pasta or maybe a piece of roasted chicken? This sauce would be delicious over pretty much anything so get creative!
- Add grilled or baked chicken breast to the final dish. Alternatively, browned crumbled Italian sausage may give the sauce an interesting twist.