Nobody likes the descriptions at the beginning of recipe posts were we give you the LONG back story in hopes of catching the Google algorithm’s eye, but these are the times we live in. The first time I tried this crispy chickpeas recipe, it was a component in a dinner dish and I was pleasantly surprised to find them to be one of my favorite parts! Fans of Milwaukee’s best meal delivery service will definitely want to read on for this quick, crunchy chickpeas recipe that’s perfect snackies for busy folks on the go!
Long story made short – I’m training for a Hot Chocolate 15K this fall. While I wish I could fuel the training on hot chocolate alone, I need healthier proteins, too. Enter these crunchy chickpeas. Chickpeas are an awesome source of protein and all sorts of other good-for-you stuff, so the fact that they can be prepared in a way that make them a tasty, crunchy, almost addictive snack is just a bonus.
The original recipe for these Crispy Chickpeas is from one of my favorites, Half Baked Harvest, as part of a pasta dish with the most perfect tomato sauce. You should definitely try that one some day too, but in the meantime make these chickpeas to have on hand as a salad topper or to snarf by the handful.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can (14 oz) chickpeas drained and patted dry
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 lemon zested
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil.
- Once the oil is glistening, add the chickpeas and rosemary. Stir occasionally until the chickpeas are crispy. This may take about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the lemon zest and cook another minute until it is fried as well.
- Remove everything from the skillet on to a paper towel-lined plate. Discard the rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.