Looking for a fun way to use up all your odds and ends from the crisper drawer and condiment shelf? Then look no further than this Roasted Veggie Sandwich recipe. I mean, ordering directly from us, might be the easiest way to get dinner on the table, but this quick list of suggestions* follows closely behind.
*I’m having a tough time calling this a recipe as you could make it your own a million different ways. But I can promise it’s a dinner idea that would go over well at least once a month.
You’ll see in my version of the recipe, I suggest peppers and onions. That’s mostly because I’m on a pepper and onion kick. You could use whatever your family likes or what you already have on hand to use up. Aim for one sheet pan’s worth of raw veggies. Same goes with changing up the cheese – I love goat cheese in this combo. The tang goes well with the sweetness of the peppers and it melts perfectly, but 4 oz. (roughly, a cup) of any melty cheese will be great.
Next, let’s talk sauce. In my first version of this recipe, I went safe and just used mayo on both sides of the bread. The next time I played Jarred Sauce Roulette and ended up with a red pepper sauce from Trader Joe’s on one side and pesto on the other. It was so good! Again, use whatever you’ve got in the fridge.
Finally, let’s talk bread. I’ve made this with mini French breads sliced the long way and regular bread sliced like, well, regular bread. Whatever you pick, give it a little toast before slathering on the sauce. That will help it stand up to all these tasty toppings.
Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches
- ½ red onion cut into thin strips
- 2 peppers cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp thyme dried (or 1/2 tsp fresh)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 mini French loaf
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 oz goat cheese crumbled
- 2 cups mixed greens or spinach, arugula, or other favorite greens
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone sheet.
- Add the prepared vegetables to the baking sheet. Toss with olive oil, salt, and thyme. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice the loaf in half the long ways and put the bread in the oven, open-faced with a few minutes left on the veggies.
- To assemble sandwiches, add a shmear of mayo to one side of the bread. Top with enough roasted vegetables to cover the bread, then stuff in goat cheese and the greens. Top with the remaining slice of bread. Serve immediately.
- You could use regular sandwich bread for this, too.
- Use your favorite and/or seasonal veggies, cheeses and condiments. Just match the measurements of those listed above. (Aim for one sheet pan’s worth of raw veggies for the oven.)
- Turn this sandwich into a salad. Put the roasted veggies and goat cheese on a larger bed of the preferred greens. Maybe add some pine nuts or almonds for crunch.
- Skip the goat cheese. Instead, add more salt and pepper, more mayo, and/or a schmear of Dijon mustard to the sandwich instead.
- Add a few ounces of deli salami or leftover shredded chicken to the sandwich.