How did I come about this recipe? Honest truth – I got a free package of refrigerated gnocchi from the local grocery store and procrastinated long enough that eventually I had no choice but to use it up.
That said, oh my gosh, why did I wait?!?! This dish is SO delicious. I won’t go as far as saying it’s healthy due to all the butter, but it feels as decadent as a steak dinner. This would definitely be a great one for date night. (And maybe add a hunk of beef if that’s your thing….)
Tomato & Spinach Gnocchi
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 17 oz packaged gnocchi
- ¼ cup Parmesan grated
- 2 cups spinach
- ¼ cup milk or half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Once hot, add onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and garlic. Cook for another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add cherry tomatoes; cook until they begin to blister, about 5 minutes, and then begin to smash them down gently with the back of your spoon. Let the juices cook about 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine or vegetable stock. Bring it back to a simmer and let it cook down for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the butter to melt.
- Add in the gnocchi, stir to coat and make sure they are in a single layer to cook evenly. Cover the pan and cook about 2 minutes longer than the package suggests. Mine usually cook for about 4-5 minutes. Stir in parmesan, spinach, and milk or half-and-half. The spinach will wilt with the heat of the gnocchi. Squeeze lemon juice over the pan and stir. Serve immediately with additional parmesan.