It took us a solid three weeks of school before my girls were in school all five days of the week, so we had a LOT of time to fill up. In that spirit, I started thinking about what we could do in the kitchen that wasn’t cookies. (Don’t worry, we made those, too.) I stumbled into a recipe for a lemon sugar body scrub and guys, it was such a hit!
This “recipe” couldn’t possibly be easier to make, so I was able to get both the five- and seven-year-old involved in making this scrub. As an added bonus, we figured out this is a great hand scrub for my daughter that loves to chew on her nails. It really works by knocking off the rough spots so she has nothing left to nibble on.
I also can’t help but think these would make adorable gifts for teachers as we approach the holiday season. With a little adult help, kids can easily make this lemon sugar body scrub on their own and then all it takes is a cute jar and a handwritten gift tag to make it a custom gift for the ones who have really put themselves on the line for our kids. I think grandparents would also appreciate receiving such a gift form their dear ones.
Lemon Sugar Body Scrub
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup sugar
- Melt the coconut oil.
- Combine oil, sugar, lemon zest and about half the juice in a small bowl. If necessary, add more sugar or juice to get the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a container with an air-tight lid. Will keep for several months.
- I had coconut oil, so that’s what we used, but walnut oil is great for homemade skin care. (Do be careful with allergies!)
- I’ve only made scrubs with standard white granulated sugar, but quick internet research suggested trying other types to get different levels of well, sandpaper. 😉