How did I come about this recipe? Honest truth – I got a free package of refrigerated gnocchi from the local grocery store and due to the stay at home order had no choice but to use it up.
That said, oh my gosh, why did I wait?!?! This dish is SO delicious. I won’t go as far as saying it’s healthy due to all the butter, but it feels as decadent as a steak dinner. This would definitely be a great one for date night. (And maybe add a hunk of beef if that’s your thing…)
Tomato & Spinach Gnocchi
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup white wine or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 17 oz packaged gnocchi
- ¼ cup Parmesan grated
- 2 cups spinach
- ¼ cup milk or half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil. Once hot, add onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and garlic. Cook for another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add cherry tomatoes; cook until they begin to blister, about 5 minutes, and then begin to smash them down gently with the back of your spoon. Let the juices cook about 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine or vegetable stock. Bring it back to a simmer and let it cook down for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the butter to melt.
- Add in the gnocchi, stir to coat and make sure they are in a single layer to cook evenly. Cover the pan and cook about 2 minutes longer than the package suggests. Mine usually cook for about 4-5 minutes. Stir in parmesan, spinach, and milk or half-and-half. The spinach will wilt with the heat of the gnocchi. Squeeze lemon juice over the pan and stir. Serve immediately with additional parmesan.