Oh doggies, we all love this dinner at my house. We each get a fried egg over the top, but I couldn’t bring myself to put that in the official recipe. Gilding the lily and all that.
Thai Beef with Coconut Rice
Don't get nervous if this is your first time with fish sauce. It makes for the most delicious sauce in this Asian-y beef dish. Serve over coconut rice for the most comforting of comfort food.Print Recipe
- 1½ cups jasmine rice uncooked
- 13.5 oz coconut milk
- 2 tbsps fish sauce
- 3 tbsps soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper small dice
- 1 cup corn
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ cup basil chiffonade
- 1 lime juiced
- In a medium saucepan, combine rice, coconut milk, 11/4 cups water, and 1 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and cook rice until ready, about 20 minutes. Alternatively, combine ingredients in a rice cooker and follow the equipment instructions.
- When rice is almost done, combine fish sauce, and soy sauce in a bowl and set aside. Heat a skillet over high heat, add oil, garlic, and the peppers. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add beef and corn and cook, breaking up meat with a spoon until completely browned, about 5 minutes. Drain excess grease. Add soy mixture and cook for 30 seconds. Add half of the basil and stir to combine.
- To plate, start with rice, then beef mixture. Garnish with lime wedges and remaining basil.
- Fry an egg to sunny side up for each serving. When serving, plate the rice, then the beef. Then top with the egg and a squeeze of lime.
- Use tamari or coconut aminos in place of the soy sauce.
- Check the ingredients on your fish sauce. Gluten-free fish sauce exists, but it might not be the most popular brand.
Calories: 554kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 1037mg | Potassium: 555mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 794IU | Vitamin C: 31mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 5mg