Okay guys, let’s be real. These cookie bars are really just a vehicle to get the delicious chocolate buttercream in our faces and that’s okay.
Sugar Cookie Bars with Chocolate Buttercream
Use packaged cookie dough to turn this into a project the whole family can make (and eat!) together.Print Recipe
Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1 lb packaged sugar cookie dough
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened to room temp
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp milk*
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Let dough stand at room temperature 5-10 minutes to soften. Cut into 1/2" slices. With floured hands (or the bottom of a drinking glass), press dough into an even layer in a greased 13X9 pan. Bake 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned and edges are firm. Allow to cool slightly.
- With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy – about 2 minutes. Add confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, milk, salt, and vanilla extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then increase to high speed and beat for 1 full minute. Add 1/4 cup more powdered sugar if frosting is too thin or another tbsp of milk if frosting is too thick.
- Evenly spread frosting over sugar cookie bars. Allow to set and serve. Store in the fridge, but allow to come to room temperature for the best tasting treat.
- IF MAKING FROSTING FOR LATER: Cover tightly and store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer. After freezing or refrigerating, thaw in the refrigerator, bring to room temperature then beat the frosting for a few seconds so it’s creamy again. You may need to add a little milk if it’s still too stiff.
- Want to make your own sugar cookie dough? This is a good one.
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 34mg | Sodium: 123mg | Potassium: 90mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 370IU | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg