I got this recipe from a friend at college, but I’m guessing you may have a grandma or aunt who brought this to every family gathering. And good on her for doing so because this stuff is pure perfection – salty, sweet, crunchy and melty. I dare you to not eat the whole pan!
Delightfully Tacky Toffee
- 35-40 saltine crackers about 1 sleeve
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray. Line up crackers in a single layer on the foil.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and brown sugar in saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil 3 minutes or until thickened. Immediately pour over crackers and spread evenly with a spatula. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn oven off. Sprinkle chocolate chips over crackers and chips will start to melt, 2-5 minutes. Spread chips using a clean spatula. Pop back in the oven for 30 seconds to a minute if the chips don't spread easily.
- Let cool to room temperature, then put in fridge for at least an hour. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
- Substitute graham crackers for the saltine crackers for a sweeter version
- If you have a fancy sea salt or Himalayan salt, use that, but don’t buy it just for this recipe.
- A cup of chopped nuts sprinkled over the warm melted chocolate is a great addition!
- The candy will be fine on the counter, but I prefer to keep it in the fridge.