Looking for a hot breakfast that comes together fast? Try these egg muffins. Two things to note –
- I tell you what combination of veggies, cheese, and herbs I like in the recipe, but use what you love (and/or what you need to use up).
- Spray the heck out of your muffin tins. Then when you think you’ve sprayed too much, spray again. I can’t seem to make these come out of the tins perfectly. If you do, let me know where to send your gold star.
Clean Out The Fridge Egg Muffins
A hot breakfast that helps use up odds and ends from the fridge? That's a winner in my book!Print Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 10 eggs
- 1 red pepper finely diced
- 3 cups spinach
- 4 oz goat cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and generously spray a regular muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a small skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside on a plate. Add the spinach and garlic to the pan and cook until slightly wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Set this aside on your plate as well.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Add in salt and pepper and thyme. Stir until combined.
- Divide the onion and peppers, the spinach, and the egg mixture between the 12 muffin cups. Sprinkle in the goat cheese between each cup.
- Bake until the eggs have puffed up and begin to brown, around 18-24 minutes. Enjoy immediately or allow to cool, then refridgerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave.
- Use any combination of fillings (broccoli and cheddar, ham and green pepper, etc.) that adds up to just shy of 3 cups of filling. Divide between the 12 muffin cups and proceed with the recipe.
- Replace some of the veggies with browned breakfast sausage or chopped cooked bacon.
- Skip it and add more flavor with herbs or meat.
Calories: 96kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 141mg | Sodium: 287mg | Potassium: 126mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1354IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg