Why do we always make things so complicated? We think “treat time” calls for something fancy, but you show me one person who doesn’t like puppy chow and I’ll show you a big ole liar!
You know this stuff is the best. Just try not to shovel it all in your face in one sitting.
- 10 cups rice chex
- 1 2/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Place cereal into a large bowl* and set aside. In a 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter uncovered on high for 1 minute. Stir and microwave for 30 more seconds or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into a 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag. Add powdered sugar. Seal the bag and shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in an airtight container.
- Choose between corn chex, rice chex, wheat chex, or chocolate chex, or a combination of all the above.
- Be sure to check your cereal. Rice Chex is gluten-free, but other flavors may not be.
- Use an alternative butter.
- I haven’t tried it, but imagine sunflower butter would work just as well for this snack mix.