Ah, friend. This dish is so good. I know I say that about everything, but seriously consider dropping whatever you had planned for dinner tonight and make this instead. This sauce…golly, this sauce. Yum, yum, yum!!
Chicken Tikka Masala with Rice
This sauce is the best intro to Indian food you'll ever try. Beginners will love it and experienced spice fans will also rave! We like to pair the chicken and sauce with rice, but try it with naan or roasted veggies.Print Recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 14 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp sugar optional
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp salt to taste
- 3 cups cooked rice
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook, about 1 minute. Add the cumin, 1 tsp salt, ginger, cayenne, cinnamon, and turmeric and fry until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce into the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, then mix in cream, paprika, and 1 tbsp sugar (optional). Bring the sauce back to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the sauce is thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a separate skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, sprinkle with curry powder, and saute until lightly browned but still pink inside, about 3 minutes, stirring often. Transfer the chicken and any pan juices into the sauce. Simmer the chicken in the sauce until no longer pink, about 30 minutes. Adjust salt and sugar to taste.
- Try with coconut milk or alternative milk heavy cream.
- Skip the chicken and make a mix of roasted or sauteed veggies instead. Diced winter squash, cauliflower, or sweet potatoes could be interesting. Maybe top with roasted chick peas for something totally different.
- Replace the rice with cauliflower rice, cut back the amount of white rice, or serve with brown rice. Or completely skip rice and serve over roasted veggies instead.
Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 103mg | Sodium: 1035mg | Potassium: 630mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1372IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 2mg