Chicken Fajitas with Quick Black Beans
Double or triple this recipe to prep for those busy days when even chopping a pepper is too much work. Even with that, tonight's sizzling sensation comes together in a snap.Print Recipe
- 1½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion cut into strips
- 1 green pepper cut into strips
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 12 flour tortillas
- ½ cup salsa
Seasoned Quick Black Beans
- 14½ oz canned black beans
- 1 medium jalapeno
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pat chicken dry and trim excess fat. Slice each breast into narrow strips. Whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, veggie oil, garlic, and spices in a medium bowl. Pour over chicken to marinate. Allow at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and peppers and stir-fry until soft. Remove veggies from skillet and add chicken. Stir-fry chicken until well browned, about 10 minutes. Remove pan from heat and return veggies; stirring to combine.
- Meanwhile, remove the seeds from the jalapeno and finely dice.Heat a medium pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, jalapeno, cumin, and olive oil and saute for about 5 minutes, or until the jalapeno and garlic have softened. Add the beans (do not drain) and heat through about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve fajitas with tortillas, veggies, cheese, and salsa. Serve the black beans on the side.
- Double or triple the ingredients for the fajita part. Then prep through step one and package in freezer-safe packaging. (Keeping raw marinated chicken, veggies, tortillas, cheese and salsa in their own containers.) Freeze. Allow to thaw overnight in the fridge before cooking.
- Replace the meat with more veggies. Slices of large mushrooms like portabellas could be fun. Zucchini and squash work great, too.
- A smidge of cotija cheese on the black beans really takes it over the top. Go ahead and replace your cheddar for this on the fajitas, too, as you’ll have way more than you need.
- It’s also pretty easy to skip the cheese. Maybe add some avocado slices for a similar mouthfeel.
- Tortillas are your issue here. Is there a gluten free one you like? Otherwise, the fajita insides are great on top of a baked potato or sweet potato or on a bed of greens for a hearty salad.
Calories: 544kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 38g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 1396mg | Potassium: 905mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 596IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 229mg | Iron: 5mg