Cauliflower & Corn Chowder
The search for the perfect cauliflower soup brings us to this delicious chowder, filled with all of our favorite things.Print Recipe
- 6 slices bacon cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower chopped
- 1 lb red potatoes diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups corn kernels thawed, if frozen
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 green onions chopped
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the chopped bacon and cook until crispy. Remove bacon from the pot, leaving the bacon fat. Add the chopped onion to the bacon fat and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
- Deglaze the pan by adding about 1 cup of the broth. Use your stirring spoon to get the good brown bits off the bottom of the pan. Then, add the cauliflower, diced potatoes, corn, and the rest of the broth, bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender. Transfer 2 cups of the cauliflower/potato/corn/broth mixture to a blender and puree.* Add the puree back into the soup pot.
- Add the milk to the soup pot. Boil for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in the shredded cheese and half of the bacon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls topped with bacon and chopped green onions.
*Alternatively, you could carefully use your immersion blender directly in the pot. OR skip this step for a chunkier stew.
- Skip the bacon at the start. Instead, start the dish with 2 tbsp olive oil.
- Use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Replace the potatoes with another head of cauliflower.
- Add a couple small chicken breasts to the pot with the potatoes and corn. Allow to poach in the soup until completely cooked through. Remove from pot, shred and stir back into the soup.
- You could probably use a unflavored milk alternative and skip the cheese, but then maybe just make a different soup. 😉
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 1379mg | Potassium: 969mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 326IU | Vitamin C: 68mg | Calcium: 211mg | Iron: 2mg