You guys and gals are going to love this pulled chicken that can be made in a slow cooker or Instant Pot. This makes a lot of meat, so plan on leftovers. You could do a smoky BBQ chicken pizza, quesadillas, or mix into a hash with eggs. It could also be a great topping for a south of the border inspired salad. Toss the chicken with mixed greens, diced avocado, cherry tomatoes, and a cilantro creme dressing for a lovely lunch!
Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Sweet Potato Fries
- 1¾ lb boneless chicken breast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder optional: chipotle
- 6 oz tomato paste
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 tbsp brown mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 12 dinner rolls
- 3 lbs sweet potato cut into strips
- 1 tsp salt
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together all spices. Move half to a different bowl. Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil with one bowl of spices. Set aside. In the other bowl, mix in the rest of the liquid ingredients to make your chicken marinade.
- Place sauce in the slow cooker and add chicken. Stir to coat. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours until chicken can be pulled apart/shredded with a fork.
- Thirty minutes before eating, start preparing the sweet potato fries. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat julienned sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil and spice mix. Place in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, tossing once or twice.
- To serve, take two forks and shred the chicken, mixing with the sauce. Serve the meat on dinner rolls with the sweet potato fries on the side.
- This recipe works great in the Instant Pot. Coat the bowl with cooking spray and proceed as above. Set for 10 minutes of high pressure and allow for natural release of 10 minutes. If chicken is frozen add 2-3 more minutes.
- The meat is definitely tangy on it’s own, but I’ve never met a pulled chicken sandwich that couldn’t benefit from some pickles.
- Skip the buns or turn this into a lettuce wrap.
- Use tamari or coconut aminos instead of the soy sauce.
- Add carrots or parsnips to the sweet potatoes for roasting.