Got a cold? Had a bad day? Feeling great, but want to feel even better? Then make this soup!! This is lovely and comforting. Even those of us (like me) who don’t like soup will love this one.
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
This comforting soup will lift your spirits above any bad weather or under the weather days. The secret ingredient?? The zing of lemon juice!Print Recipe
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- ½ cup mushrooms sliced
- ½ onion diced
- 3 tbsp flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2/3 cup wild rice blend
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- In a large stockpot set over medium heat, and add 1 tbsp of oil. Add chicken thighs and saute for 5 minutes (or until the chicken releases from the pan) on one side. Flip and continue to cook until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Remove to a plate, allow to cool and cut into a small dice.
- Heat the other tablespoon of oil with the celery, carrots, onion, and mushrooms and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add flour and stir constantly until the flour is cooked and loses its "raw" flavor, about 1 minute. Slowly pour in chicken stock, whisking continuously until all the broth has been added. Turn up the heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Add salt, garlic powder, pepper, and thyme. When the mixture is bubbling, add rice. Let the rice boil for 1 minute, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes or until rice is cooked throughout.
- Add chopped chicken and salt and pepper to taste. Finish with the lemon juice off heat before serving.
- Use vegetable stock and skip the chicken to make the soup vegetarian. Replace the chicken with more veggies.
- Use a gluten free flour or other thickening alternative.
Calories: 519kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 821mg | Potassium: 743mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 5274IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 2mg