Cashew Chicken with Rice
A healthy version of a Chinese takeout staple combining loads of fresh veggies with a simple simmer sauce and, of course, the crunch of cashews.Print Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups rice
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 3/4 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-in cubes
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 cups broccoli florets cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large carrots thinly sliced rounds
- 1 red pepper chopped
- ½ cup cashews chopped
- 2 green onions sliced
- sriracha optional
- In a small sauce pan or rice cooker, prepare the rice according to the package directions.
- Stir together all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cornstarch and salt. Pat the chicken dry and cut into cubes. Add chicken cubes to the cornstarch mixture, tossing to coat. Set aside and prepare the vegetables.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Once warm add the neutral and sesame oils. Add the chicken and cook for 4 minutes or until lightly browned but not cooked all the way through. Lower heat to medium and add the broccoli, carrots, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until the vegetables are barely tender and the chicken is done, stirring frequently.
- Pour the prepared sauce over the chicken and vegetables. Cook for a minute more. Taste and add more salt is necessary. Serve over the rice. Garnish with cashews, green onion, and, if desired, sriracha.
- Your favorite Asian-inspired veggies will go great in this stir-fry. Add more to bulk up the recipe.
- Frozen veggies will work in a pinch.
- Skip the nuts. 😉
- Exchange tamari or coconut aminos for the soy sauce. (Be delicate with coconut aminos – it’s much more flavorful than traditional soy sauce.)
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 818mg | Potassium: 634mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 4971IU | Vitamin C: 70mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2mg