This is a great way to sneak vegetables into your next dinner party buffet or just a Tuesday night supper. Use a food processor to mince roasted veggies and it almost (keyword: "almost", don't get too excited…) gives the texture of Italian sausage.Print Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium medium onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- 3 oz spinach chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper divided
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 4 cups cottage cheese
- 12 no boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups mozzarella shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat oil in large saute pan. Once heated, add all veggies except spinach to pan. Season with 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. Cook all veggies until soft, around 8-10 minutes, adding the spinach by the handful after other veggies are almost done.
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, garlic salt, and remaining pepper.
- OPTIONAL: If you don't mind dirtying up a few more dishes, use a food processor to chop your roasted veggies into even smaller pieces. Add the cottage cheese mixture and mix together.
- Prepare a 9X13 pan with a spray of oil and then spread 1/2 cup of sauce over the bottom. Layer lasagna in the following order: noodles, cottage cheese mixture, vegetables, sauce, mozzarella cheese; repeat twice. Top lasagna with one more layer of noodles, marinara sauce and cheese.
- Bake at 425 covered with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. Remove the cover and cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice and serve.
- If you don’t have time to babysit sauteing veggies, roast all veggies at 400 degrees except spinach on a sheet pan for 20 minutes or until browned. Spinach can be added to the cottage cheese mixture instead.
- Try to find the no-boil lasagna noodles or cook traditional noodles ahead of time.
- There is a long cooling period on purpose. If you jump right in, the lasagna can be a little watery. Give it a moment for the juices to jump back in the party.
- If you want to make ahead of time, go through assembly stage. After covering in foil, wrap tightly with plastic wrap. You can keep this in the fridge for a week or freeze up to three months. Thaw overnight in the fridge or add extra time to your baking.
- Add 1/2 lb of browned pork sausage or ground beef to the veggie mix right before layering.
- Another alternative is to layer in slices of pepperoni between the noodles and the cottage cheese mixture.
Calories: 407kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 40mg | Sodium: 1796mg | Potassium: 781mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 6067IU | Vitamin C: 35mg | Calcium: 276mg | Iron: 2mg