Guys, I find it really ironic that I haven’t been able to find time to write this blog post until right before the deadline. Why is it ironic? Because I always think of these homemade protein bars when I’m looking for a kitchen win, yet am short on time. Oops. Well, let’s get right to it, shall we?
The super healthy, super clean protein bars you find in the grocery store are also usually super pricey. Every few months, I get in a mode where I want these for snack time, but feel guilty for costs involved really fast. Enter this easy recipe a friend gave me. Use your favorite flavor combination and have a ready-made stock of bars whenever you want!
From my research, the general formula for the bars is:
- 1 cup of raw nuts of your choice – almonds, pecans, cashews, peanuts, walnuts
- 1 cup of pitted dates
- 1 cup dried fruit (cherries, bananas, apples, berries, coconut, etc.)
- Add-ins (adjust per your taste): instant espresso powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger, cocoa powder, coconut oil, nut butter, sea salt, water
Side note – nuts are pretty expensive on their own, but find a friend with a Costco membership. You can buy them by the buckets there for a relatively decent price. Costco has the dates, too. No Costco? Then check Trader Joe’s. They also are the best place to find sugar-free dried fruit.
Here’s a recipe for a coffee-inspired bar. Makes a great breakfast running out the door, too!
Easy Homemade Cappuccino Protein Bars
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 tsp water
- Add all ingredients to food processor bowl. Process the mixture until everything is incorporated. Start out with 1 tsp of water and increase if necessary to make the bar “batter” easier to work with.
- Scrape down sides of bowl if needed. Line a 8" X 8" square pan with wax paper and press the mixture into the pan. Chill in fridge. Cut bars into desired size or cut as you consume. Store in the fridge.
Enjoy these and let us know your favorite flavor combos we should try.
And now back to this sprint called life!!