Between the Cold That Would Not Die and my birthday last week, I’ve been thinking about aging and health a lot as of late. In our thirties, we don’t bounce back from anything as easily as we did 10, 15, 20 years ago. I put a call out to my network asking for their best suggestions of ways to age gracefully.
In honor of the age when a head cold, hangover, or hellacious day at work couldn’t keep me down too long, here are 21 of my favorite life hacks for your late thirties.
- Be sure to take time for yourself.
- Supplements. I take Calotren, magnesium, ginger, turmeric and a daily vitamin.
- Drink a gallon of water a day.
- Be consistent.
- Figure out what works for you today, but appreciate that it might not be what made your skirt fly up 5 years ago or will 5 years in the future.
- I completely let go of the idea that life is about finding yourself and went after creating myself. I try, fall, and bounce back higher than I was. Criticism still hurts, but it hurts less the more I focus on who I want to be.
- Make your bed and floss your teeth. Two things that take no time but still feel good to check off the to do list.
- Take tech detox breaks, but overall, try to keep up on technology. We are way too young to not be able to turn the TV on.
- I’ve tried to walk more each day.
- SLEEP. getting an appropriate amount of sleep is the foundation for health.
- Cut back on salt.
- Make time for at least 30 mins of exercise each weekday. I take weekends off from the gym.
- Laugh… a lot. And cry when necessary.
- Moisturize. Every morning and every night. Face and hands.
- Sleep, water, and happiness. (Editor’s note – this should be a t-shirt.)
- Get a good esthetician and colorist. Sometimes it simply costs money to look youthful.
- Take lots of pictures.
- Make time with your kids a priority.
- Follow a career path or boss that inspires you.
- Live a balanced life – nothing extreme.
- Stop looking for approval in others.
Do you have any life changes, big or small, you made as you entered into the next age category? Can’t wait to hear them!